Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Nesting...

There is this concept called nesting. It happens when you start getting comfortable where you are, surrounding yourself with friends, with things you love, etc. It isn't a bad thing, although it can lead to some bad habits. When I first heard about it, I was in a time in my life where it sounded simply awful. I could not imagine why anyone would want to stay in one place. This was a few years back, and for the last three years or so I have been much more eager to start spreading some deeper roots in a smaller spot instead of spreading shallow roots in a large area. I don't know if I will ever be in a place that I stay for longer than 2 years. So far that hasn't happened in over a decade. But I do know that when I first came back here from living overseas, I was lonely and bored and didn't know anyone in this area.

Tonight I realized that I have made some connections, spread a bit of a nest here for now. I realized I am making plans with classmates, meeting up with church friends, going to random game nights with Chinese students, and connecting with people with whom I work. How cool is that? Two years ago I didn't know any of these people, and now I have a whole bunch of people I hope to keep up with in some way no matter where I go.

Have you stopped to appreciate your new friends lately? Who do you know now that you didn't know in 2010?

No comments:

Post a Comment