Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Final Moments

Today was my last day babysitting my little kiddos for awhile. I was hired for the summer, and now I must begin student teaching. The kids' parents have said they would like to have me back to do some babysitting, though, so today won't really be the end, I hope.

I had an incredible summer with them, and I can't believe how blessed I was. I didn't set out looking for a babysitting job because I didn't think anyone could deal with my finicky schedule. However, when I stumbled upon this job, it worked. This job was great with my schedule, great with my needs, and it seems like I was a good fit for them as they were a good fit for me.

I didn't really talk to the kids about it being my last day. I did talk to them about what they would be doing next, going back to see grandma again, who watches them during the school year.

Today was a weird day because I had to leave early for a mandatory student teaching meeting, so I did warn the kids that when they woke up I might still be there, but mom might be home early.

It was the worst nap time ever.

Both of the kids were wide awake and unhappy to be in their rooms. The younger one tore through all of her diapers, diaper creams, hair ties, etc. Then she got scared and upset when I was angry and just took it all out of her room or put it on top of her wardrobe so she couldn't play with it and I could piece things back together. Tears. Screaming. I finally went back in when it sounded like she was hyperventilating, and we had some really tender final moments.

I pulled her sweaty, tear-streaked head onto my lap and had her calm down, told her how much I love her, and just enjoyed her for a few minutes despite all the diaper-terrorizing she had just done. And then she fell asleep.

Fidgety older brother was bored and upset to be in his room, which he usually does without a problem, so he got to come out early and read books with me. I guess when it is the last nap time with me I don't have to be such a stickler about nap rules. We also got a tender last few minutes as we read books and waited for his mom.

The kids' parents were so wonderful to me. They were generous with their food. I could ask for any supplies or stuff if I wanted to do something with the kids. Nap times were my free time. They paid me the full rate even though they came home about 15 minutes early almost every single time. They were kind and helpful to me, and they gave me a thoughtful and tear-jerking final card and gift.

I feel so sad that the summer fun with this family is over, but I feel incredibly blessed to have had the experience. Many of my beauty-related posts centered around these kids, and I praise God to have them in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment