Monday, June 13, 2011

What Will I Be Doing On That Day?

Today on the train I was reading Francis Chan's book Crazy Love. I have found it very intriguing, and I am struck by the fact that my life can be completely the same after reading it, or I can act on these Biblical insights and truths and convictions and be completely different. The same is true when I read the Bible. The choice is mine. I hope to see some major changes in my lukewarm Christian life. The following paragraphs really stuck out to me today, and I have been thinking about them all day.

"I once attended a play with my wife and some of her relatives, including Grandma Clara. During intermission, I leaned over and asked what she thought of the play. She said, 'Oh honey, I really don't want to be here right now.' When I asked why, she replied, 'I just don't know if this is where I want to be when Christ returns. I'd rather be helping someone or on my knees praying. I don't want Him to return and find me sitting in the theater.'

I was shocked by her answer. Yes, we are called to "keep watch" (Matt 24:42), but it's strange to see someone who takes that command, and so many others, seriously. In fact, it's more than strange - it's convicting."


I've read the passages about keeping watch, the parable about the virgins keeping oil in their lamps (Matthew 25), the verses about being ready because you never know when Jesus will return, but for some reason the profundity of these words has just never sunk in before.

What a beautiful priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment