Saturday, June 25, 2011

Transforming Events

Today I worked at an event that was put together by a thirteen year old. Her parents had a lot to do with it, but it was this girl's heart and perseverance that got this event rolling. Thirteen years old. She now has the record for the youngest host of one of my events, with second place being a high school junior. I just love it when kids see something that is worth going after and decide to do it. They aren't held back by the enormity of it, aren't bombarded with thousands of reasons why they shouldn't do it or can't pull it off. They just see it or hear about it, decide it is what they want to do, and they get it done.

This event was a real blessing to me. This event was added to my schedule after a conflict cut half my June hours. I had begged to be put on a different event, a repeat from last year that I wanted to go back to. But God had other plans. I needed to be at this event in Decatur, IL, put on by a thirteen year old. I am so grateful I got to be a part of it.

Her dad said that it was truly a transforming day and event for her. She is usually shy, unable to talk to people and look in their eyes. This event required that she invite, register, welcome, and speak publicly to hundreds of people. She did it with the charm and collectedness of a pro. I was so proud of her. I saw a young girl take on a huge responsibility and become a young woman through it. I pray that this is just the start of something huge for her life. Hearing her dreams for her next project, I think that this is just the beginning of a truly beautiful vocation.

No comments:

Post a Comment