Sunday, July 10, 2011

Family Reunion

I was a super shy kid around certain people. It takes me a long time to warm up to people sometimes. I wish I wasn't like that. I wish I could just embrace people right away and just pour out love for new people. But sometimes that is hard for me. I long to see people more as Christ sees them, needing love and grace, and created so specially by a loving God.

I have always been at my shyest around family members. Not my brothers or parents, but cousins, aunts, uncles, second cousins, etc. So you can imagine that family reunions were not very fun for me.

This weekend I came down to central Illinois for a family reunion. I came mostly to see my great aunt (see this post about that), not really wanting to explain where I am at in life to all of my mothers' cousins. Wrong perspective, I know.

You can imagine my surprise when I found that my family members are actually wonderful people! Ha, I can't even believe I am writing this. Of course they are wonderful people! Of course they love me and I love them. Of course it is really good to see them and talk with them and learn about them. What in the world am I so afraid of or shy about?

It was a real blessing this weekend to be with my extended family and to see some people that I only see at these reunions and other people that I see more often but not lately due to school and work.

Family. Who knew it could be such a beautiful thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment