Saturday, September 1, 2012

Even the Corners

Imagine we are a square candle, and God is fire and light.  The candle wick is lit when we worship him, spend time with him, allow him to come in and affect our lives.  At first, the candle is largely unaffected.



Little by little, the wax around the wick begins to melt.  This changes us, the candle, and it also reveals our imperfections.



If the candle is blown out, the candle returns to its original state.  Perhaps it is a tiny bit affected, a ring around the wick showing where the candle wax once melted, then hardened again.  When we just allow God into one part of our lives, when we just reserve that communication to holidays, or maybe once a month, God's presence affects us, but we limit the impact he can make. 



Even when we spend time with God for two hours on a Sunday morning, the circle of wax may have an influence, but I have seen in my life how the wax in the corners is never affected.  There are corners of my life that are off-limits, hidden (or at least I try to hide them, nothing is hidden from God, but he does not force his way into the areas I try to keep from him).  The wax in the corners remains.



When we keep the candle burning, when we spend time with God regularly, daily, when we worship, when we seek him, when we practice being silent before him, when we practice bringing our burdens to him, the candle continues to be changed.  The imperfections are revealed, but they draw near to God's light, and he eventually melts them away.  Even the hidden corners of my life are touched, are changed, are pulled into God's presence. 



I've been a Sunday worshipper for a long time.  I haven't been so great about including God into my daily life though.  God spoke to my heart a month ago, saying "You MUST be silent before me."  I took that as a command.  When you hear those words, it is not an option.  I spent time trying to quiet my mind before God, getting back into the Bible, praying and studying on how to pray.  But eventually, this time with God did begin to feel like a choice again.  I do have the power to say no.  I do have the power to refuse blessing and take back those corners, shrink the circle of God's influence, and eventually blow the flame out of my life.  I do have the power to say no.  I have said no on a few occasions.  My phone is more interesting.  My sleep is too appealing.  My television schedule is too addicting.  My to-do list is too loud.  I have regretted each one of those "no's".  I have regretted it because in saying "yes" to God, I have been so blessed.  I have been overwhelmed by God himself.  Each day I must make that choice to meet with him.

What have you been choosing?

No comments:

Post a Comment